About Fred Lanting
SEMINARS & LECTURE INFORMATION ON FRED LANTING
- HD and Other Orthopedic Disorders: Powerpoint presentation touching on all joints and all aspects including genetics, nutrition, diagnosis, treatments, and more. Two hours & up, or tailored to your needs.
- Analytical Approach to Evaluating Dogs: a unique gait-and-structure illustrated talk, describing how to choose studs or candidates for purchase, pick puppies, and judge dogs in the ring or from ringside. Also stresses why decisions are made between dogs. Live volunteer dogs, screen illustrations, & audience “hands-on” participation. From two hours, depending on number of dogs and participants/learners. Can be expanded if ring conditions and more intensive practice are desired.
- Schutzhund/VPG problem-solving and technique improvements.
- Anatomy Courses similar to my SCJA Institute lectures. (See next column)
- Others by special arrangement: Grooming, Handling, Basic Genetics, etc.
- Evolution of the American German Shepherd Dog (specialty clubs).
(Fee plus expenses; if lectures are in connection with judging assignments, such costs can be divided. In foreign countries, no lecture fee charged beyond expenses).
RELATED INFORMATION & QUALIFICATIONS
SV: Many years as one of only 2 in the USA and a half-dozen in the Western Hemisphere approved by the Schäferhund Verein. Officially retired now, but still judging.
The KC (UK): Approval: GSD, Rottweiler, Boxer, Whippet, Greyhound, Shiba
AKC: (Retired) German Shepherd, Rottweiler, Boxer, Greyhound, Whippet.
All-breed: (Active) UKC (United Kennel Club), Nat’l Canine Assoc., ARBA, & others in the USA; several other foreign countries & registries. See other column. Hong Kong & China DLA (Western Hemisphere liaison officer).
Foreign: Awarded Challenge Certificates and equivalents to selected breeds in New Zealand, Australia, Ireland, England, Scotland, Japan, etc., and to all breeds in Pakistan, India, much of S.E. Asia, South America, & the Caribbean.
National Specialties, Foreign all-breed, shows, and “Rare” breeds judged:
National Specialties: GSD Club of America; Tibetan Mastiff; Shiba; Fila Brasileiro (several times), Dogo Argentino, Pyrenean Shepherd, Presa Canario, GSD Sieger Shows in South America, Europe, & Asia; WGSD Club of Europe.
Numerous Regional Specialties: Rottweiler, Boxer, Anatolian Shepherd, Greyhound, Shar Pei, Australian Shepherd, & other specialties worldwide.
All-breeds: Judging assignments in approximately 30 countries, including the prestigious FCI Asian Shows in Japan and India, & the Scottish Kennel Club. Familiar with most of the hundreds of breeds including the “FCI breeds” and “rare” breeds recognized by ARBA, FCI, UKC, NCA, and others.
Experienced in specialty rare breed judging, observation, and handling.
ADDITIONAL BIOGRAPHICAL INFORMATION
- First purebred dog: Toy Fox Terrier, 1937
- First purebred litter (Smooth Fox Terriers): 1945
- First German Shepherd Dog 1947; active GSD breeder since 1966
- Also bred Whippets in the 1970s, Shibas in the 1980s & `90s
- Owner, top-ten conformation and top lure-coursing Whippet.
- Importer/owner of the #1 Shiba outside Japan for many years.
SHOW EXPERIENCE: Started handling in 1966; many times show chairman. Trained and titled many dogs in Schutzhund/VPG and IPO competitions.
JUDGING EXPERIENCE: About 30 countries. See information in other column. Approved all-breed judge in Trinidad, Colombia, Bolivia, China, Malaysia, Uruguay, Brazil, & other countries including some U.S. registries such as UKC.
Lecturer in about 30 countries on Gait-and-Structure, Canine Orthopedic Disorders, etc. Formerly instructor at Senior Conformation Judges Association’s Institute, and W.Va. Canine College (including member of advisory board).
Worldwide canine behavior & structure consultant. Security & training consultant/analyst for Asesores Caninos (Colombia), and other countries. Expert witness in litigation, in most canine topics.
Author: The Total German Shepherd Dog, Canine Orthopedic Problems, technical and science books, books of poetry, etc. Writer of innumerable articles in dog magazines. Columnist for many magazines and websites in the U.S. and abroad; frequent contributor to a wide variety of publications. Serious scholar of canine anatomy and health; assistant in veterinary surgery; guest lecturer at many veterinary schools.
Many articles on www.siriusdog.com/ (not my own website).
See also Google; search for “Fred Lanting”.
MEMBER or former member:
- Schäferhund Verein (SV-WUSV, world governing body for GSDs), Germany
- GSD Club of America (including Board of Directors and WDA)
- GSD Club of Northern Alabama (charter member & president)
- States K.C.; also charter member & founder, Dixie Dog Club
- NCA: Nat’l Canine Assoc (alternative to AKC)
- ACB: Kennel Club of Bolivia (all-breed judge, cynology advisor)
- NSCA; Shiba Club of America (officer and delegate to SKC)
- United Schutzhund Clubs of America (member, the elite SchH3 Club)
- Japan Kennel Club (also approved JKC judge)
- Nihon Ken Hozonkai (Nippo) Japan breeds society
- Hong Kong & China Dog Lovers Ass’n.
- Judge & Official Inspector for UKC, NAPBTC: American Pit Bull Terriers.
- L’Odre de Bon Temps, Nova Scotia
Fred Lanting, All Things Canine
consulting division, Willow Wood Services